I am determined for Ryan's birthday tomorrow, to make him a "monkey face" birthday cake. In the past for the kids, we have just gotten pre-made cakes from the store...but I've been a little addicted to Cake Boss on TLC, and have an itch to try baking and decorating a cake by myself! I went online and browsed through other cakes of monkeys and so today, I ventured out to the store in search for all the ingredients and supplies to attempt my own! I will take photos of the process and post them. I think it will be fun. I need a "hobby" anyway! I haven't had a chance to finish up my scrapbooking or card-making....I need space and a kid-free zone for that! But cake decorating could be fun, too!
In addition to getting interested in cakes, I have also begun to experiment more with cooking. Jason has always been the chef at our house. He has a knack for spices and cooking things without recipes and it always turns out great! Me? I cook from a box. If I don't have instructions and step by step directions, its usually a disaster meal!! So far though, I have tried sauteed chicken, yakisoba, pot roast (the crock pot isn't cheating, right?!?), to name a few. So far, I haven't botched it too terribly! I have also found that the ONE recipe book that I have is basically of no use to me. I decided that unless you are Rachel Ray, its not likely that you will just happen to have most of the ingredients that the recipes in it require! And I don't just go to the store with an ingredient list for those little specific things usually...Maybe I should make a menu so I know what to expect. ha ha
At any rate, off to settle the kids down so I can tackle this monkey cake!!





No comments:
Post a Comment